Specific due dates for the issue of invoices have been provided for:
1) An invoice in respect of a transaction carried out in Latvia shall be issued within 15 days of the transaction date or the date of the receipt of an advance;
2) An invoice in respect of a service provided in Latvia over a long term shall be issued at least once every 6 months;
3) An invoice in respect of construction services provided in Latvia shall be issued no less than once every 12 months (not related to the calendar year);
4) An invoice in respect of a cross-border transaction shall be issued on or before the 15th day of the following month;
5) An invoice in respect of permanent long-term services provided in the territory of the European Union must be issued in respect of the calendar year.
Section 125 of the Act lays down the specific references which must be used in respect of certain transactions. For example, if the tax payment obligation rests on the recipient of goods or services, the respective reference should be “reverse charge payment”. Conversely, if the invoice is raised by the recipient of the goods or services, the respective reference on the invoice should be “self-billing”.